VISA Information

Become a member

Yemen Visa Information

Passports and visas are required for travel to Yemen. Visas must be obtained from Yemeni embassies abroad. All visitors to Yemen are required to obtain a visa prior to travel; airport visas will not be issued upon arrival. U.S. citizens are typically issued visas that are valid for 30 days.

Travelers to Yemen are not required to have an affiliation with or arrange travel through a Yemeni-based individual or organization. However, at the port of entry, a traveler may be asked for supporting evidence of character, purpose of visit, and length of stay.

Travelers are initially granted a visa to visit Sana’a or Aden and must obtain permission from the tourist police if the traveler would like to visit other parts of Yemen. Travelers without permission risk arrest and detention.

Yemeni law requires that all visitors/tourists register at a Yemeni police station or at the Passport and Immigration Authority within two weeks after arrival to Yemen. Failure to register will result in complications upon departure and a possible fine of 5,000 Yemeni Riyals (approximately $23.00 USD).

If a traveler overstays the duration of stay granted by Yemeni authorities at the port of entry, the traveler must pay 300 Yemeni Riyal (approximately $1.50 USD) per day in overstay finesand obtain an exit visa from the Passport and Immigration Authority before being allowed to depart Yemen.

Yemeni law requires that foreign travelers staying longer than 30 days obtain exit visas before leaving the country. If staying in Yemen for less than 30 days, an exit visa is not required. Travelers wishing to extend their stay beyond 30 days must file an extension with the Passport and Immigration Authority. The Passport and Immigration Authority requires a non-refundable fee of 4,400 Yemeni Riyal (approximately $20 USD) for a one-time extension of 30 days. Further extensions may not be approved.

In certain situations, however, foreign visitors (travelers and residents) are required to obtain exit visas from the Immigration and Passport Authority headquarters in Sana’aregardless of their legal status in Yemen. These circumstances may include, but are not limited to:

  • Foreigners who have overstayed their permitted length of stay granted by Yemeni authorities at the port of entry;
  • U.S. citizen children with Yemeni or Yemeni-American parents who are not exiting Yemen with their parents or who are only exiting Yemen with their mother. Yemeni law recognizes those who may have a claim to Yemeni citizenship as Yemeni, even if they do not hold a Yemeni passport;
  • Foreigners who have lost the passport containing their entry visa and entry stamp;
  • Foreign residents whose residence visas are based on employment or study in Yemen, marriage to a Yemeni citizen, or relationship to a Yemeni parent; or
  • Foreign residents who have pending legal action, including court-based “holds” on family members’ travel.

In sum, in the types of cases described above and in other complex cases, obtaining an exit visa requires the permission of one of the following: the employing company, the sponsoring Yemeni family member, the sponsoring school, or the court in which the legal action is pending. Without this permission, foreigners — including U.S. citizens — may not be allowed to leave Yemen.